Adzer van der Molen is a Dutch artist whose postmodern paintings originate from film stills and television images, photography. The light bestows upon the work a cinematic quality.
Specific is the tension between recognition and alienation; you've seen it before but a the same time it stays intangible.
The symbolically layered work uses the landscape’s suggestive meaning; the contemporary, manufactured landscape in which isolated construction (fences, houses or roads) represents human endeavour.
In Van der Molen's compositions, hopeful expectation colludes with themelancholy of forlorn dreams, lost ideals. The work has a romantic as well as anironic side, is both reflective and lyrical. Titles of the works, derived from imagery and lyrics of songs, emphasise this.
The work was selected for the exhibition “Door Schildersogen” in Arti Amsterdam, and won an artprize in Napels. In 2017 the Stedelijk Museum Kampen showed the solo “C’mon Pilgrim”. In 2018, in acclaimed magazine "Kunstschrift", Van der Molen wrote about his sources and inspirations.
Van der Molen, born in Drachten, studied philosophy in Groningen, and graduated from the art academy AKI in Enschede In 1988. Since then he lives and works in Amsterdam.
– Philosophy – University Groningen RUG 1978-81
– Academy of Arts AKI – Enschede 1982-88
Shows / Awards
– Remote Control – Galerie Nasty Alice, Eindhoven
– Boys – Galerie Nasty Alice, Eindhoven
– Hitchcock – Galerie Nasty Alice, Eindhoven
– KunstRai – Galeria Contrast, Amsterdam
– Landscapes – Galeria Contrast, Barcelona
– C’mon Pilgrim – Stedelijk Museum Kampen – solo
– Any Day Now – Kunsthandel Kruis-Weg 68 Haarlem – solo
– Vasco del Arte, Art Abcoude
– Coulissen – Galerie Nasty Alice, Eindhoven
– The Last Picture Show – Studio Sarai, Amsterdam
– Door Schildersogen 2 Arti et Amicitiae Amsterdam
– Tortuca magazine #37: Cinéma Vérité
– Art Consultancy B&F, Breukelen
– Sailexpo WATER – Studio Sarai, Amsterdam
– Zomerexpo Gemeentemuseum Den Haag
– TFHMF Award longlist
– RADION Amsterdam (group with Roberto Voorbij ao)
– Re:Rotterdam artfair
– Included in collection DELA
– Klifhanger Festival Texel – mural “This Day Of All Days”
– Kulturbiergarten Rippershausen – mural “Never Go Home Anymore”
– Bluduemila Napoli – Concorso Internazionale via tutor Paola Verrengia, second prize
– Galerie Singel 383 – Credence, Amsterdam – solo
– Galerie 48 – Kobe de Peuter & Adzer van der Molen, Breda
– Galerie Vierbijvier, Vianen – solo
– in stock at Galleria Paola Verrengia – Salerno
– Boven’s Galerie, Amsterdam – Verfzucht #4: Painterly Intrigue, group, with Michael de Kok, Bonnie Severien, Albert Zwaan
– CBK Groningen – Nieuwe uitleenschatten (group, with Maurice Braspenning, Anne van As ao)
– Galerie De Meerse, Hoofddorp – Art in Mobile, group
– Zoete Broodjes, Amsterdam – Bezembinder: A weblog in the flesh (group, with Toon Berghahn, Ron van der Ende ao)